Saturday, September 18, 2010

Terminator Salvation

We've had this DVD for months, and I just now got around to watching it. I wouldn't have even watched it tonight (after I got home from work, no less!) except that my husband fired it up, and how can I resist watching an un-watched movie?

I'd seen bits and pieces of the movie before, but never enough to get a good idea of what was happening. Speaking of which, this is not a good Ironing Movie. You really can't take your eyes off it very much. If you try this, you will Miss Things and your husband will become Very Annoyed. If I am not careful, one of these days he's going to break out the duct tape to seal my mouth shut during movie-watching time.

But that wasn't my point. What I meant to say was this: I pretty easily figured out the Big Thing. (Oh yeah, because there is a Big Thing to figure out in this movie). But I think this had more to do with the fact that I'd seen parts of it before than due to my super-excellent skills of observation and intuition. I don't think it was especially predictable. Anyway, it might have been kinda fun to be blown away by the Big Thing, but I wasn't. It was more of a Yeah, so? I already knew that Thing.

This probably is a Must-See Movie if you are a boy (there is much blowing up of large and flammable objects) or if you are a fan of the other Terminator movies. I would rank it as better than the first and third, but not as good as T2. There was one thing I didn't like much about it, though--it mostly takes place in a dirty, gritty dystopia (being the only one of the four movies that occurs mostly after Judgment Day). Dirt, grit and dystopia are three things which, especially when found in combination, can be somewhat depressing for me.

Bonus: Kyle Reese is played by Anton Yelchin, the same actor who was Charlie Bartlett. I KNEW I recognized him from somewhere!

6 comments:

  1. I think the "big reveal" was pretty much blown in the commercials. I don't remember being particularly surprised either.

    Yes, that was Anton Yelchin from Charlie Bartlett. I first saw him in Alpha Dog, a chilling true story of a bunch of young men caught in over their heads with the worst possible out come. And leading to the youngest man being placed on the FBI's Most Wanted list.

    But back to Terminator, I take it you really didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! No, I guess I liked it pretty well. It may not be a Best Movie Ever, but I've definitely seen worse.

    I've not heard of Alpha Dog. Maybe I need to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was outraged by the movie trailer because it gave away The Big Thing in the trailer. I went through a crash course in Terminator movies, just to go to the movie with my husband only to find out, there was a crash course for the fourth one in the trailer. Biggest dissappointment at the movies last year. It would have been much better if they had not ruined it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, that really surprises me that they ruined such a pivotal plot point in the trailers. Especially since they spent so much of the movie not telling the viewer about it. I guess I hadn't seen any of the previews, but I sure thought they meant for it to be a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you would like Alpha Dog or not. It's fairly dark and intense. I did love Anton in it and also Justin Timberlake, surprisingly. I would enjoy hearing your take on it though. Mostly I thought, oh man, this really happened??

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's in my queue . . . #266. <:o So in three years, when I finally watch it, I will be sure to tell you what I think of it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete