Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bottle Shock

This is a fun little movie, especially if you like wine. Even if you think you don't like wine*, if you're someone who always roots for the underdog this could be the movie for you. It's the true story of a 1976 California vs. France wine competition.

Being my usual cynical self, I couldn't help but wonder how slanted this movie was. It showed all of the American characters as down-to-earth and likeable; perhaps flawed, but in a way that comes closer to making you want to hang out with them as opposed to judging and rejecting them. In contrast, the French are all portrayed as know-it-all snobs.

I'd say it's probably impossible to drink this movie without concurrently watching a bottle of wine.

* I believe there is a little wine-drinker in all of us. Some of you just don't know it yet. 

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across this movie on a plane and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching movies on a plane! Something about the lack of distractions. Except for one time when The Straight Story was on and I was trying to sleep and we had bulkhead seating so the screen was mere inches from my eyes and every time I looked--every time!!--it was just some old guy riding a lawn mower . . .

    ReplyDelete