Friday, September 17, 2010

The Joneses

Well, this is certainly not one of those movies they call a "romp." It's a rather bitter social satire which is actually somewhat depressing. I mean, nothing like a tear-jerker (not even for you softies out there), but the slight uptick in the last 30 seconds wasn't near enough to leave me with a happy fun feeling. In fact, the sudden turnaround to a "happy ending" was more annoying than anything else. I almost didn't want it to end happily. The depressing direction it had been headed just made more sense.

I think I figured out the premise within the first thirteen minutes, which was another slight disappointment; I could have lived with a bit more suspense. I was kind of looking for someone to flip out and go on a murderous rampage (not that I'm a fan of slasher movies, but that just seemed like an obvious conclusion). The movie did have a marked turning point at one hour in, which is when everything begins to fall apart for the Joneses and becomes almost American Beauty-esque, but no homicides in this one.

Now that I've spent the entire time bashing the movie, I must say it wasn't a total waste of time. I wouldn't put it on my "Must See Movies" list, but it's not a bad movie. And it has a decent soundtrack.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this on a plane ride last month, which was perfect. It wasn't awful (I'm looking at you Bounty Hunter), but it wasn't wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm guessing The Bounty Hunter was no Mr. & Mrs. Smith, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete