Friday, September 17, 2010

OSS 117: Lost in Rio


This movie made me laugh. It's possible that the wine helped, but I think I would have laughed anyway. On the other hand, I'm sure it's not for everyone. Whenever I got to giggling, Hud would give me the "are you crazy?" look and ask what was so funny. The first few times I tried explaining it to him and his response was always something like, "I know. What's so funny about that?" Sigh.

It's pretty much a cross between a James Bond movie and Get Smart, except in French. The main character is a French super-spy who is, of course, quite  handsome and debonair (can you imagine any other kind of French super-spy?) but is also incredibly chauvinistic. He's the kind of person I might want to slap in real life (and he does get slapped), but I had no trouble laughing at him in a movie. Even so, the ladies love him (and, apparently, some of the men do too).

One thing that amazed me about this movie was how everything looked absolutely vintage--of course the clothes, cars, furniture and actors (no anachronistic Mark Ruffalos here), but even down to the colors and camera angles. When I ordered this from netflix I was sure it was a newer movie, but while watching I had to look it up to make sure it wasn't filmed in the 60s. (It wasn't. It's from 2009.)

This is actually a sequel to a 2006 movie called OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies. That one's on my list too.

7 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen I-Spy with Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson. This review made me think of that movie. Eric and I laughed the whole way through. We just watched it again recently and it was perhaps even funnier the second time.

    I am going to put this on my movie cue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I just hope you don't react to it the way Hud did. :) Also--don't expect to laugh all the way through. Maybe if you go into it thinking it will be mildly funny (which was my pre-movie opinion) you'll laugh, but if you expect constant hilarity I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

    I haven't seen I-Spy (don't really even remember hearing about it) but I like Owen Wilson. ("Have you even seen Star Wars?")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star Wars? Which one? Yes, I have seen them all. Why?

    I like James Bond movies and I liked Get Smart, so I thought I would like this too. Worth a look see...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound like I was asking you. ;) I was quoting Owen Wilson's character in Armageddon. He has a lot of lines I love in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, okay! He has some great lines in I-Spy too. I love his voice. I have him tell me I have mail on my computer, it's just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny! What does he say? Because I can't imagine that it's something as mundane as "you've got mail." Surely he threw something else in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't set it up on my new laptop yet. But it was something like:

    -Welcome back!
    -Hey, you got some mail here.
    -Alrighty then, see ya later.

    Eric has Natasha Henstridge and she says in her sultry voice: I've been waiting for you... It cracks me up when I hear it.

    ReplyDelete