Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dorian Gray

Is it bad that I pick movies based on the cute boys who are in them? Ben Barnes is not hard to look at. Except when he is raptly gazing about London with such an expression of naive innocence that he seems to be putting on an act. (Which he is, of course, but we are not supposed to be reminded of this fact while watching a movie.)

But Ben Barnes is not the only reason I watched this movie. We're back to that compulsion of watching every available film adaptation of the books I read.

It's difficult to avoid comparing the movie to the excellent book. Where the book was more nuanced and subtle, the movie was more creepified and overt. The book was intriguing and thought-provoking, but the movie took the book's concept and created what might almost be called a horror movie (or at least a thriller) out of it. The basic story is the same, and I even recognized a couple of direct quotes from the book, but overall the movie is given that distinct Hollywood sheen.

Not that this is entirely a bad thing. The movie made use of aspects of the medium that are not available in print, and this is as it should be. If a movie has nothing to add, why even make it in the first place? Anyway, as book-to-movie adaptations go, they did a fairly good job with this one; and, when I attempt to look at the movie as its own entity, I think it makes a perfectly entertaining and enjoyable way to spend an evening. Especially if you get to drink a glass of wine while watching.

9 comments:

  1. 1. I watch movies based on cute boys 80% of the time. 2. The Picture of Dorian Gray is a flipping fantastic book. 3. I like creepy. Clearly I need to watch this, and even more clearly, we were definitely separated at birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I KNEW IT! (Just don't tell me how old you are, or you will blow my theory right out of the water.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched "Easy Virtue" for Ben. I'd give the movie a pass, his "acting" wasn't much better in this, but still nice to look at. I am probably about an 80% er too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, Easy Virtue was already in my netflix queue . . . I think I'll go ahead and leave it in there, as apparently my goal is to watch All the Movies, but thanks for the heads up--I won't expect much from it--and now maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised! :)

    Ben Barnes isn't in my Top Five, but I haven't laminated the list yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go in with LOW expectations and you may like it. It was a decent story but not well acted at all and one too many scenes of pensive cigarette smoking for me. And Ben really didn't know how to smoke in a sexy way like some men can. But I did really like the unexpected ending.
    I will probably get Dorian too, I didn't realize it was out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can think of someone who knows how to smoke sexy! ;) Maybe Ben needs to take some lessons from him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For sure! But it's probably better that Ben is a non-smoker in real life...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah. 'Cuz, you know, when we get to hook up with him it will be much more pleasant. ;)

    ReplyDelete