Sunday, August 29, 2010

Clash of the Titans (2010)

My opinion of this movie: it's pretty weak. I mean, sure, the special effects are better than those in the original version--especially with Pegasus--but the sorry effects of the original wouldn't take much to exceed. Plus, they re-used the monster from Cloverfield for the Kraken.

This movie wanted to be a cross between The 300 and The Lord of the Rings, but any attempted comic relief (like from the hunters, Lenny and Squiggy), just sucked all necessary dignity right out of it. Although I must admit that I enjoyed Bubo the Golden Owl's little cameo, there were far too many times when I shook my head and disbelievingly lamented that it was just so corny.

I'm not sure how I feel about an ancient Greek with a buzz cut. Sam Worthington looked like an anachronistic marine in a girly little skirt. But at least he's cute.

Maybe I would have been more impressed if I'd seen it on the big screen, or if I had turned the sound up really, really loud. I'm sure I would have liked it more if my expectations hadn't been so high. I thought surely the great old story put together with awesome new graphics would make an amazing movie. But . . . it didn't. I've seen worse movies, but this was not the movie I hoped it would be.

10 comments:

  1. I had the same thoughts as you while watching this film, and like you, I wondered how much my expectations influenced my viewing. I was really really really excited for this film before it came out, but I just thought it was so corny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I am starting to think you and I were separated at birth. ;) Two for two so far! One of these days either I'll stop being surprised when our opinions converge, or we'll actually disagree on something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim popped this in last week and I watched a bit then wandered off to blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I take it even Sam Wentworth in a little skirt wasn't compelling enough for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, I was looking forward to snatching this one from my brother. Now I'm in no hurry. -.-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snatch it anyway, just to see for yourself, but I think you're right--there's no hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's Sam Worthington, and I don't think I would give him a second glance if I saw him on the street, but I do really like his voice.
    I too really wanted to see this movie, and for the same reasons, a great movie redone with awesome new graphics, how could they go wrong? Well, they did!
    It's funny you mentioned the Pegasus, because in an interview Sam said the horse did not like him and kept biting him so they had to shoot those scenes very quickly.
    One of the few things I did like were the other warriors, I have a memory of the first movie with Harry Hamlen always alone and vacillating a tad much for my taste, but I did see it nearly 20 years ago.
    My verdict that it was entertaining, but did not live up to anyone's expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, thank you for the correction. I can't imagine how I got it right in the label. Anyway! It's fixed now. :)

    That is hilarious about the horse biting him!! I guess those winged horses are pretty feisty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you see Terminator Salvation? Sam Worthington is in that as well. He plays a very interesting character you might like to see. I went in with low expectations but really liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, we actually own Terminator Salvation and I can't remember if I've watched it. Probably not, since it came out on DVD after I started this blog, and I would have blogged about it. I seem to remember trying to watch the beginning twice . . . maybe I'd had too much wine that night. I'll have to try again sometime.

    ReplyDelete