Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Charlie Bartlett

For the first half hour of this movie I was re-wishing that old wish. I wish I had a system for keeping track of what induces me to put a movie on my netflix queue.

Then it hit me. Susan Gardner was Norah from Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist! Netflix must have recommended it to me because of her. I have decided that Kat Dennings is my new favorite actress. Unfortunately, in perusing her imdb filmography, I don't see anything else she's been in (yet) that I'm interested in seeing. But she's young, so there's still time.

Let's just hope Kat takes a better route than Amy Smart. I really liked Smart when I saw her in that silly Ratrace movie, but I was pretty disappointed with her turn in Crank. Maybe Kat will be able to stick with good roles. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, enough about Kat Dennings--the movie itself was really cute. Just as with Speak, I was so impressed by how real each of the characters seemed. With the possible exception of the school superintendent, I think every person in this movie was fully realized without being an over-exaggeration. I cared about them and related to them and was interested in them. They even made me laugh, too, but without sacrificing any of their real-ness. Even the premise of the movie--you might be tempted to consider it unrealistic, but the way it unfolds, you have to admit it could happen.

If Anton Yelchin (who played Charlie) had been in the Nick and Norah movie in place of Michael Cera, I think that movie just might have been perfect. And speaking of perfect, I can't think of a single thing to knock about this movie! (No doubt my husband could have, but he didn't watch it with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment