Friday, August 20, 2010

I'm Not Scared

I read the book by the same name earlier this year, and finally got around to following my usual compulsion to watch the movie adaptation of every book I've read. This movie is in Italian with English subtitles, and it followed the book incredibly closely. This is not completely surprising as the book's author helped write the screenplay.

I was quite impressed by the acting done by all the children. What that means is that I was never distracted from the story by unrealistic or overblown portrayals. I was even more impressed when I discovered, by way of wikipedia, that the children were "local citizens with no filming or acting experience." It was pretty obvious that none of them had ever been on a Disney Channel TV show, anyway.

This movie strangely reminded me of an Italian Stand By Me (albeit with a very different soundtrack). That story didn't come to mind at all as I read the book, which is, I guess, why I found it strange that the movie made me think of it. More about the soundtrack: it was a string quartet, very beautifully done, and often very reminiscent of Pachelbel's Canon in D.

The ending of the film was slightly less ambiguous than the end of the book, but just barely.

2 comments:

  1. I love foreign films---I'll put this on the TBW list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, now that I think about it, this may be one case where watching the movie may make reading the book unnecessary. Just do yourself a favor and don't read the netflix synopsis! Too many spoilers!

    ReplyDelete