Saturday, August 7, 2010

Reel Culture: My Additions

None of the movies in Reel Culture were released after 1991 because, as the author claims, "later movies are not really 'classic'--yet." But here are some pre-1991 movies that I think belonged in this book.

1. Star Wars (1977). Sure, everyone knows it, but everyone also knows The Wizard of Oz and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and both of those made the book.

2. Grease (1978). One of the few movie musicals I could watch endlessly, unlike, say, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

3. The Blues Brothers (1980). Not sure this needs to be on the list if Animal House is there. No, I take that back. I think this one is a classic all on its own.

4. Back to the Future (1985). But definitely only the first one of the series. I was eleven when this came out, and I went to see it with my favorite cousin. I was so enthralled with every bit of this movie that I gave my mom a blow-by-blow retelling of the entire thing when I got home.

5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986). Maybe not as edgy as The Breakfast Club, but a funny favorite anyway. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

6. Top Gun (1986). Love the volleyball scene. This was Tom Cruise in his glory days, before I realized how short and weird he is. And I always cry when Goose dies, even though I already know he's going to.

7. Dirty Dancing (1987). Didn't every thirteen-year-old girl kind of wish she were Baby? Don't we all kind of wish that still, more than twenty years later?

8. The Princess Bride (1987). If you don't love this movie something is wrong with you. I don't care who you are.

9. Pretty Woman (1990). This would be my dream and fondest wish. You know, if I were a streetwalker.

Now here are a few post-1991 movies which I am sure are destined to stand the test of time.

1. Pulp Fiction (1994). OK, so some of it is hard to stomach, and my mom never ever needs to watch it, but I really think this movie is a masterpiece. I love the way the stories are woven together and told all out of sequence. Honorable mention in this category: Memento. Maybe not exactly a classic, and it's told in a more straightforward (or straightbackward?) way, but what a good movie! (Of course, by "good" I don't mean "feel-good.")

2. Titanic (1997). Maybe it's just the mushy romantic in me that makes me want to add this to my list. But it's such a beautiful movie. So what if I only ever want to watch the first half.

3. The Matrix (1999). Only the first one, unfortunately. There was so much promise for the sequels, but alas . . .

4. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (2001). Peter Jackson may have left out Tom Bombadil, but overall his movie adaptation of this book is perfection.

5. Harry Potter movies--as a group, because I don't think any single one of them excels in comparison to the others (2001 through 2011--notice I'm already including the last two installments, sight unseen. I have great faith). I am so glad the various directors have felt compelled to stay true to the beloved books. Sure, a lot has been left out, but overall they've done an excellent job with these movies.

What classics do you think have been left out? Are there any of mine you feel do not belong?

No comments:

Post a Comment