Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cinematic Espionage

Bride of the Screen God's newest post about The Illusionist reminded me of something. Have you ever noticed that some movies seem to come out in near duplicate? I've always wondered if there is such a thing as a studio spy. When one producer gets wind of a movie idea that's in the works, he scurries back and forth with information so that whichever studio he's loyal to can "scoop" the other studio.

Here are some movie combinations that I remember thinking were awfully similar:

The Prestige and The Illusionist

Antz and A Bug's Life

Babe and Gordy

Deep Impact and Armageddon

Dante's Peak and Volcano

The Truman Show and EDtv

Rob Roy and Braveheart

Have I missed any?

4 comments:

  1. I agree, The Prestige and The Illusionist were pretty similar. And, Brothers and Pearl Harbor seem to have similar plots. :)Also, The Sixth Sense and Passengers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about Passengers, but I'll have to look it up, if it's like The Sixth Sense. I loved that movie! I love a big twist like that, especially when I don't see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Capote and Infamous, and this is so true. One of the movies always trumps the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen Capote, but I don't remember even hearing about Infamous. Have you seen it and would you recommend it? After seeing Capote and reading In Cold Blood, I'm not really interested in Infamous . . . unless you say it's awesome. Which one trumped in that case?

    ReplyDelete