Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fright Month: Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Fright month ends, not with a bang or even a ghostly wail, but with a chuckle. I don't think this movie is supposed to be a comedy, but most of it sure passes for one in my book. Except for the scenes where I felt sorry for the monster.

My favorite part was when the old blind hermit taught Frankenstein how to drink wine and smoke cigars. The monster kept grunting, "Mmmmm, gooooood," which made me giggle. Then when he met up with Doctor Pretorius, the monster almost reminded me of Herman from an episode of The Munsters.

Looks like a remake is coming out next year. I wonder if it will actually be scary?

Her hair is buick. Wish I could get mine to do that.


4 comments:

  1. Oh - I love the "miniature people" in this movie!! And I love Elsa Lanchester! She is great as Mary Shelley and as the Bride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those miniature people were cute and fun! And quite impressive considering when the movie was made.

    I thought it was odd that the Bride was so twitchy and bird-like in her movements. And (spoiler, if anyone is reading this who hasn't seen the movie) I was so sad for poor Frankenstein when she didn't like him! I didn't know it ended that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such fond memories of these movies-- they seemed so dark and sinister when I was a kid in the 70s. I loved all the dracula and wolfman ones too. I'm sure they would seem hokey if I saw them now-- I saw one of the old mummy movies recently and it was still creepy-- not by today's standards but still creepy.

    Since you've seen these films, you need to rewatch Young Frankenstein-- that movie kills me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DO need to rewatch Young Frankenstein! It's been too long.

    Maybe I made a mistake by watching these movies by myself instead of with my kids. Maybe they would have appreciated them more than I did. :)

    ReplyDelete