Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fright Month: Frankenstein (1931)

Yet another non-scary scary movie. I'd never seen this movie before, but I knew all of those bits and pieces that have been embedded in our cultural history--Dr. Frankenstein creates a monster out of old body parts and brings it to life, shouting "It's alive!" with his trusty hunchback (not Igor, but Fritz) at his side, and terror ensues.

I read the book just over a year ago, so I already knew that the original story differed quite a bit from those tidbits mentioned above. But I was hoping the movie would impart some thrills and chills, especially since not many of my other Fright Month flicks did.

Too bad my hopes were dashed. I found nothing creepy or frightening in this movie. But even though it was lacking in tension, it was still an interesting and entertaining film. Probably one that everyone should watch at least once. I mean, it's a classic, right? But now that I've seen it once, I'll probably be stopping there.

I must admit that, though it may not have scared me at all, this movie did create quite an iconic image of Frankenstein's monster. This is exactly the way everyone pictures it.

3 comments:

  1. This was the film that got me into creepy stuff when I was only 6. I saw it accidentally, and apparently my only comment was "why are they being horrible to the poor big man?" Occasionally sympathy for the monsters still bubbles up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you would have been the little girl he threw into the lake, eh?

    Really, though, I felt sad for "the poor big man" a few times too. I think that's just about the only thing the movie had in common with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're probably right about the lake, sadly.

    ReplyDelete