Sunday, October 17, 2010

Easy Virtue

How not to get my husband to watch a movie: when he asks what it's about, tell him, "I think it's about an American girl in the 1800s who marries an Englishman and they have problems and smoke a lot." Of course, as it turns out, it's actually set in the 20th century (maybe the 1920s or 30s?), but I don't think that would have made a difference to Hud.

At least it was far more light-hearted than I expected. I thought this movie was going to be all serious and dramatic and angst-ridden. I figured it was much in the same vein as last night's The Age of Innocence, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The couples switcheroo at the end was entirely predictable, but that is acceptable in a movie that Mandy warned I should go into with very, very low expectations.

By the way, I'm not doing so well in carrying out Fright Month, am I. In case you were especially worried about that, let me reassure you that I plan to get on with the scary stuff next week.

5 comments:

  1. I watched this one awhile ago and was surprised by how much I liked it. I loved Colin Firth in it and I felt like it had a good balance of humor and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see what I meant about the smoking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I liked Colin Firth in this one. I would love to be able to tango like that! And . . . have someone to tango with. (I could never get Hud to do that.) And . . . have a place to tango.

    The only time I really noticed Ben smoking was in the very first scene (the car race in black and white, or I guess sepia actually). It seemed more like a bad camera angle than anything else; he blew out the smoke and it just kind of sat there in front of his face. But his character was so earnest and innocent-seeming, he really wasn't especially sexy, smoking or not. Anyway, I know just about everyone smoked throughout the entire movie, but I forgot to pay attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did this little head swing after blowing out the smoke. It was weird, kind of like a woman after she takes off a motorcycle helmet. He did it twice, the one time you mention and again later. But that was my point, everyone was smoking all the time, I found it very distracting.
    Colin Firth was the best part of the movie for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I didn't notice that . . . but I can totally picture it! And it my imagination, it just looks silly.

    ReplyDelete