Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fright Month: Children of the Corn

I'm having trouble finding a scary movie. I was just sure this one would give me nightmares and maybe even put me off eating corn for the rest of my life, but no. I'm not scared to look behind me. I'm not even any more frightened of my kids than usual. I did jump a time or two during the movie, but not significantly.

Of course, it didn't help that Hud was scoffing throughout the entire thing. But even I had to laugh when he made fun of the main character, Burt, by saying, "You're getting your [butt] kicked by corn."

At the end of the movie when the car was full of cornstalks but the viewer was supposed to be lulled into thinking it's all over, it suddenly hit me: I know Steven King's stories well enough to know there was probably one more surprise lurking. Sure, I was right, but it was a pretty weak one.

Chalk another one up for my "it was a disappointment but at least now I've seen it" list.

5 comments:

  1. I saw this when it came out forever ago; didn't realize it was Stephen King. I had a friend growing up that begged me to watch scary movies with her. I don't remember this one being too scary though. All I really remember was that one kid was named Malachi and I thought that name sounded evil.
    But maybe you would be freaked out the next time you walked through a corn field alone?? Yeah, when does that ever happen?

    You want some recommendations??
    The Original Chainsaw Massacre
    The Prey
    Humongous
    Happy Birthday to me
    Nightmare on Elm Street - The first one has a very young Johnny Depp
    C.H.U.D.

    Well, these are some of the ones that stuck with me over years. Personally, I don't care for scary movies and haven't seen any in the last two decades so these are all old school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestions! I won't be able to squeeze them into "Fright Month" this year, there being only one week left, but I will schedule (some) of them for next year. No Nightmare on Halloween the Thirteenth movies for me, but I'll take the first four. I don't think I've even heard of #3 and #4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Netflix doesn't have The Prey or Humongous. They must be *really* good. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humongous gave me nightmares, so you are probably better off! Have you seen any other Stephen King movies like Carrie, Christine, Cat's Eye or Pet cemetery?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one of those I haven't seen is Cat's Eye, and I actually don't recall even hearing of that one.

    I have come to the opinion that (with a few notable exceptions, like The Shining and Misery) Stephen King's stories are much better as books than as movies. Seems like they're much less corny and much more terrifying in book form.

    ReplyDelete