Monday, October 11, 2010

Fright Month: The Amityville Horror (2005)

In honor of Halloween, I have lined up a few scary movies for this month. We're off to a chilling start with the newest version of The Amityville Horror.

I read the book by Jay Anson probably fifteen years ago. Of course, it's been so long that I barely remember it, but I do have a vague memory of feeling fairly doubtful that it was actually a true story. Although the original DeFeo murders undisputedly happened, this movie did nothing to dispel the idea that the paranormal activity that the Lutz family were supposed to have experienced might have been drug-induced, or a ploy to make a buck, or a combination of the two. But I have to admit that is one creepy-looking house! It's as if it has evil eyes.

I think the movie changed quite a few things as compared to the story told in the book. The father of the family took much more of a Jack Torrance turn in the film, and I don't remember all of the business about torturing Native Americans hundreds of years ago.

At least the movie was pretty creepy, unlike Paranormal Activity. I mean, I'm not expecting to see dead people reflected in my bathroom mirror, and I never did spill my wine, but the movie carried quite a bit of tension.

I'm not sure why I was thinking this would be the original version--maybe because I don't remember ever hearing that there was a remake--but I was kind of disappointed when I opened the netflix envelope and found that this movie was released in 2005. At first I was thinking I might want to watch the original too, but now that I've watched the 2005 version I'm thinking I probably won't bother. Unless you tell me it's necessary.

Best parts: the scenes of Ryan Reynolds without a shirt. MMmmmmm.

Hit Girl is in this one too!

2 comments:

  1. The first one (from the 80s?) was pretty darn creepy, but I can't imagine needing to see both. That being the reason I didn't see this one. But, it had no shirtless Ryan Reynolds, darn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like I picked the right one, then! ;)

    ReplyDelete