Thursday, July 8, 2010

Paranormal Activity

Least scary "scary movie" I've ever seen.

Horror is not my usual genre, but I saw previews for the sequel which made me curious enough to watch the original. Maybe I built it up too much in my mind, but this was nowhere near the creepfest I imagined it would be. What did not happen was that necessary suspension of disbelief. Perhaps if I were a fan of reality TV this movie would have given me more of a fright, but as it was--with all unusual activity announced by that "paranormal hum," and no creepy music to set the mood--the subtle "scariness" going on was too easy to dismiss as someone off-camera jerking on fishing wire. I even watched this by myself, at night! Of course, I locked all of the doors in the house before starting the movie to avoid any unpleasant surprises, and I left all of the lights on, but I think those were unnecessary precautions. The doors are unlocked now and I have no fear of anything unusual opening them.

Of course, I haven't tried to go to sleep yet tonight . . .

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've just got this. Haven't decided exactly when I'm going to watch it, but a sunny weekend afternoon will probably be best, I think. Even if it isn't as scary as it might be, it's always worth taking precautions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to hear how much use you make of your Safety Cushion while watching this. ;) Something to consider: if you WANT to be scared, you may want to avoid any precautions. Watch it in the dark, at night. And try continually telling yourself, "It's real, it's real, it's real." You may even want to get the Book God to jump out at you from behind a door towards the end of the movie.

    I had an episode of nightmares in my childhood that seemed to last for weeks after my older sister's friend told me about a scary movie (I didn't even watch the movie myself!), so I want to avoid reliving that at all costs, but I shouldn't have worried where this movie was concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched it(lights switched off, with company though) and I was scared to death that night! I kept imagining the woman sleeping standing up. I guess I just get scared easily...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you're not the only one. Everyone who mentioned this movie told me how scary it was. Maybe it was all because of the lights . . .

    ReplyDelete