Friday, July 2, 2010

Henry & June

I watched half of this movie a week ago and only just now got around to watching the other half, if that tells you anything. It's about real-life people: writers Anaïs Nin and Henry Miller, and their respective spouses. It probably doesn't help that I've never read anything by Nin or Miller, but oddly enough, watching this movie didn't make me very interested in trying. Although perhaps if I did, I might understand Nin and Miller's mutual fascination for June that allowed her to be a muse for both. It seems inexplicable in the movie; maybe it comes through better in their books.

Most notable to me was the wooden performance of Nin's husband Hugo. I couldn't figure out if this was with purpose, to showcase the passion and life in the writers and artists he was surrounded with, or if he's just a really bad actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment