Monday, June 21, 2010

Clash of the Titans (1981)

We watched this movie in school during our 6th-grade session on mythology, but all these years later I couldn't remember much about it (other than the fact that I agreed to be in a Goddess Beauty Pageant before I realized that my mother did not own any plain white sheets. Of course I lost.) Seeing previews for the current remake made me curious enough to re-watch the original.

Need I even mention the sad state of the special effects in this movie? On the one hand, for having been produced nearly 30 years ago, I suppose allowances can be made for their laughable portrayal of a winged horse or a snake-headed woman. On the other hand, Star Wars came out four years before Clash. I guess it's easier to animate robots and other futuristic characters, but the makers of Clash obviously didn't have George Lucas on their team.

Hopelessly fake-looking special effects aside, those ancient Greeks were some pretty awesome story-tellers. I'm thinking with the current technology and these good old stories, the new Clash of the Titans movie just might be excellent. Even this old version can't be called eminently unwatchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment