Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let the Right One In

I first heard about this movie when my mom told me a remake of it was being filmed in the town where my parents live (which I thought was pretty cool, and unusual--it's not like they live in L.A. or anything). Then Chris of Park Benches & Bookends posted about the book and movie, convincing me that I was interested enough to watch the original. (I'm especially pleased to be able to name Chris without shaming him this time).

It was kind of nice to see a more realistic portrayal of vampires in this movie. This vampire seemed to follow most of the old-fashioned vampire rules. Nobody sparkled, and no animals were harmed in the making of this movie.

Knowing about the vampire factor ahead of time, I was surprised that this movie was more poignant than creepy. Scenes that could have been made creepier with mood music had no soundtrack. The scenes that did have music mostly seemed more sad than scary.

The version I watched was badly dubbed. I wish I could have watched the one that Chris watched, which was in Swedish with English subtitles. Even with the horrible English voiceovers this was a pretty good movie, but I think it would have improved immensely without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment