Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Four Feathers

I was definitely not looking forward to watching this movie. I have a vague memory of bad reviews when it came out; even worse, Hud was convinced I'd seen this movie before AND that it was lame. But evidently at some point something about the movie had gotten me curious enough to put it on my netflix queue, and if I'd watched it before, I had absolutely no recollection of it. So I went ahead and watched it. I had plenty of dishes to wash and clothes to iron anyway, so it was either this or another rerun of Friends.

It's entirely possible that this was simply another case of low expectations being exceeded, but I thought this was a pretty good flick! Very nice to see Heath Ledger looking handsome and dashing again, unlike his role in "Lords of Dogtown." Even when he was covered in hair and dirt after spending weeks (or months?) in the desert he looked much better as Harry than as Skip. On the other hand, it was somewhat disappointing to see Kate Hudson with red frizzy hair. She looks much better when her hair is smooth and blonde.

I can't really figure out why the reviews would have been bad. It may not be Oscar quality, and it's not a movie I would watch over and over again (there are very few of those), but the acting was good, the story was interesting, the romance was sweet, and the action was exciting. Oh, and I had not seen it before, so that was another nice surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment