Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lords of Dogtown

I don't have much to say about this movie. To me, it was kind of like "Gleaming the Cube" meets "Boogie Nights". I did find it interesting that the movie's writer, Stacy Peralta, seemed to make himself appear to be practically a saint: handsome and fresh-faced, loyal although no one returned the favor, hard-working and straight-laced; nothing was ever his fault and he was always the victim, although he rose above it all by virtue of his strong moral fiber. OK, so I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea. I guess that's one of the benefits of writing the screenplay for your own life's story. I just can't help but wonder if his friends from back then would agree with the portrayal of his character. The fact that they wouldn't is sort of hinted at in Kathy Alva's response to Peralta's insistence that he was the last one to leave Skip's team: "Everyone sees it their own way, I guess."

I was glad this wasn't the first movie I'd seen Heath Ledger in. Not only was he rather unattractive in this movie (he was a dirty, scruffy hippie who was apparently high constantly) but his acting really wasn't all that great, either. He spoke in an annoyingly affected manner, keeping his upper lip curled so that he appeared to have buck teeth. I just have to assume that's the way "Skip" was in real life.

It was interesting that Nikki Reed seemed to play the exact same character as in the movie "thirteen", maybe just a little older, and with a different name and family. Kind of starts me thinking she wasn't acting but was just being herself...

No comments:

Post a Comment