Monday, October 19, 2009

Be Kind Rewind

This was a really stupid movie.

I had originally intended for that to be the extent of my entry, but I find I feel compelled to say more about it.

In his movies, Jack Black is always partly a loser, so that's nothing new. He usually makes up for it by being hilarious, and by having at least a few endearing qualities. However, in this movie he is a complete loser, and also perhaps somewhat insane... and I must have missed the endearing qualities.

Best part of the movie: When Jerry (Jack Black) stood up between the signs that said "Keep" and "Out", mimicking the message Mr. Fletcher had been trying to pass on to Mike (which was, of course, "Keep Jerry out.") You're probably asking yourself, "and she thinks that is the BEsT part of the movie?" Yup, that's what I said. The entire movie was disappointingly un-funny, and was slapped together like one of Mike and Jerry's Sweded videos. There were points during the movie where, judging by the soundtrack, they were trying to convey poignancy or tension, but... it wasn't working. I'm not sure if they were trying and failing, or if they were mocking movies that try to convey poignancy and tension. Either way, it didn't work for me.

I had been hoping that this movie would be hysterical, perhaps even funny enough to usurp the ruling position of "There's Something About Mary" on my Best Comedies Ever list (not the least because that movie is raunchy enough that I'm embarrassed to call it a favorite) but it wasn't even close.

We Are Not Amused.

1 comment:

  1. I heard a review on XPN that this was a sleeper and to definitely rent it. I agree completely with your assessment. I no longer listen to his reviews. The one part I really do remember was the camera close up where they are churning out all the different movies. It was amusing how they pulled it off each one with such a limited budget.

    ReplyDelete