Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!!!

I had been waiting to see this movie since last November when it was SUPPOSED to come out. Well, the time finally arrived, and I was so excited! Excited enough to go see the midnight show on the first day the movie was released! It had been a while since I read the book, so I really didn't remember many details, but I knew this was the one where Harry learns about horcruxes, and we get to see Harry and Ginny kiss!! ^^ But I was not looking forward to seeing Dumbledore die. In fact, I was in denial about his death and thought for sure he was still alive almost all the way through the 7th book.

It would have been fun to do a five-movie marathon and watch all of the previous Harry Potter movies before going to the theater... but I really didn't decide I was going to the midnight show until the day before, and by then I already had other plans for that day. Plus, people with kids (me) don't have time for five-movie marathons. But each of the Harry Potter movies, as the books, stand alone just fine. 

My assessment: Awesome! This may be the best Harry Potter movie yet. I'll have to reread the book before I can decide for sure, but it seemed to be pretty faithful to the book and didn't leave out anything that should have been absolutely necessary to leave in. I think they added a little to it, but mainly for laughs, which is just fine with me. The Harry/Ginny kiss wasn't what I expected, but it was cute and sweet. And even though I was awfully tired by bedtime the next night, I think it was totally worth going to the midnight show. Fun!

Our local theater put on 4 midnight shows. I was glad we bought our tickets several hours in advance--the first 2 shows were already sold out at that point, and our show was sold out by the time we got to the theater.

2 comments:

  1. This was my least favorite HP movie. I was just left wanting more. It seemed like it started in the middle and ended in the middle. Nothing was resolved. I do really look forward to the final book movies though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first one was my least favorite movie. It was still awesome, but it didn't quite have the spark of the others. #4 may be my true favorite . . . and you can probably guess why. ;) I think Natalie's favorite is #3! She has probably watched it a million times. She always asks to watch "Hawwy Potter, the one with Buttbeat in it."

    SO, of course I still haven't reread HBP, but I wonder--do you feel like the book was that way too? (leaving everything unresolved) Because in my memory, the book was that same way. Of course, you know how my memory is for books and movies. Not kidding, six months after I read the book I could not remember who the half-blood prince turned out to be!!!

    ReplyDelete