Saturday, July 11, 2009

Australia

I was surprised by this movie in several different ways. First, I was surprised that my husband really liked this movie and encouraged me to watch it. (After I watched it myself I was even more surprised by this fact). Second, and I am not sure why, but I had previously had the idea that this was a musical (maybe because of Moulin Rouge, also directed by Baz Luhrmann), but it wasn't, although the Aborigine boys did sing occasionally, and the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was kind of a theme throughout the movie.

I found it interesting how the little Aborigine boy, Nullah, who was basically adopted by Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman's characters, seemed to be the keeper of all the secrets. He doled those secrets out in such a tantalizing manner without even realizing the power those secrets held. With the information he held, he could have manipulated all the people and situations surrounding him, but he was too forthright and innocent to even see this possiblity; and if he had seen the possibility he would not have desired it.

One warning--this is a long movie, so plan accordingly. Two hours and 45 minutes! I had to watch it over two nights because I couldn't hack staying up late enough to watch it all in one night. But that worked out pretty well anyway, as this movie had several "endings" (after the cattle drive... at the ball...) In fact, this might have made a better TV series.

1 comment:

  1. I admit I watched this just for Hugh, but I really liked it. And surprisingly, Eric liked it too. I think it would have done better in the theaters with different promotion. It seemed like a silly romance from the commercials, but there was so much more, as you know. Nullah was by far our favorite character, what an amazing little boy!

    ReplyDelete