Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cloverfield

This was one of Hud's picks, but I had heard enough about it that I was curious. I knew that it was a sort of Monster-Attacks-Manhattan movie, but that was about all I knew; for some reason I had the mistaken idea that "you think it's a monster but it's really something else" and I waited throughout the entire movie to find out what the "something else" was, only to be sorely disappointed.

This movie reminded me of The Blair Witch Project--not at all because of the plot, but entirely because of the jerky hand-held camera work, along with the "oh my gosh I'm so scared" acting throughout.

It's a good thing it was short. I couldn't have sat through much more of it. Not because it was too scary (it wasn't), not because it was awfully boring (it marginally kept my interest), but because how much of the same thing can you watch over and over again? Monster wreaks havoc, people run and scream (mostly away from the danger but a scant few straight towards it) repeatedly. In fact, 35 minutes into the movie, I asked Hud, "HOW long is this movie again?" It could have ended at 40 minutes and I would have been satisfied.

We watched the "alternate endings" and they weren't sufficiently different from the acutal ending to be of any interest. My husband's take: the best thing about the movie was that it had a character named Hud. In fact it took some getting used to, hearing them hollering "Hud" over and over again! Too bad Hud got munched up by the monster right before the end.

I do have one question about the movie. What happened to Marlena? Did she EXPLODE??

No comments:

Post a Comment