Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Easy Rider

Well, gosh, I don't know what to say about this movie. Except maybe . . . what was the point of that? (And by "that," I mean the whole film). Not a lot happens in this movie. OK, maybe there are two or three major plot points, but I'm not going to tell you what they are, because there's nothing else in the movie (except a couple of crazy trips--and I'm not talking about the motorcycle variety). I will say that, between the pointlessness and the ending, this movie reminded me very much of Electra Glide in Blue. (I forewarn you that there is a major plot spoiler for both of these movies if you follow that link).

Other minor comments: I was cracking up watching Jack Nicholson wearing a football helmet on the back of Peter Fonda's motorcycle. The movie has a pretty awesome soundtrack (except for maybe that crazy "If You Want To Be A Bird" song). I felt strong dislike for the weird flash-between-now-and-later-a-couple-of-times transitions and was glad these weren't used between every scene. I used to work with a guy who looked a lot like hippie-haired, hairy-faced Dennis Hopper in this movie. Can you tell I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel for comments on this one?

I think the title should be changed to "Cheech & Chong Turn White, Ride Motorcycles, Try Their Hand At Drama, and Are Not Funny."

4 comments:

  1. I watched this one from the comfort of my Christian college dorm room. Considering I was not "high" at the time, I didn't get this one either. It is all about the experience, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I see it now! That is what I was missing! I'm sure I would have appreciated those scene transitions much more. And I probably would have been amazed at how Zen and existential the whole thing was.

    I went to a Christian college too! Guess I'm making up for lost time now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I started blogging about movies on this website: http://thereliquiarium.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete