Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sherlock Holmes

I was uncertain about this movie when I first saw the previews. Sherlock Holmes as an action hero? That's just not right. But of course I had to see for myself. So I uncharacteristically sat on the couch and drank wine straight from the bottle (I'd had that kind of night) and passed judgment on this movie.

I stacked up a pile of criticisms as I watched. Holmes as a bare-knuckles boxer seemed like a pure invention typical of Guy Ritchie, but I had a vague memory of the detective being a fighter, confirmed by wikipedia. Robert Downey, Jr's nose is impossibly small and cute to be the hooked beak of the great Holmes. And there's just something about Rachel McAdams that bothers me. It's like she's just too bright-eyed and perky. She would make a great beauty pageant contestant, or maybe a professional cheerleader. But as far as acting goes, I'm not so sure. I was disappointed that Holmes never actually played the violin and rather just plucked at it every now and then.

But the movie wasn't all bad. I actually appreciated Holmes' plan-ahead slo-mo previews of several of his fight scenes. Otherwise I would have had no clue what was going on. Honestly, in most movies (unless Jason Statham is kicking butt) I tend to tune out the fights and just try to notice who wins. So it was nice to be aware of the strategy behind Holmes' moves. I was also glad (yup, I guess this would be a spoiler) that all the seemingly supernatural occurrences had completely logical explanations. I spent most of the movie being annoyed at Lord Blackwood for being able to perform real magic (which so does not belong in a Sherlock Holmes story) and was very relieved when it turned out there was no magic at all. But then I quickly became just as annoyed again (if not more) for not seeing that coming. I mean, the Hound of the Baskervilles wasn't a devilish phantom; it was just a mean dog with phosphorescent paste smeared on its jowls. I should have known there would be a sensible explanation for everything from Blackwood's resurrection to his father's death.

All in all, this is not a purist's version of Sherlock Holmes, but it was entertaining enough for the masses (of which I admittedly am one). Care to take bets on plans for a sequel? They didn't make near enough of Professor Moriarty in this one, but I am sure he will be featured in the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment