Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Inglourious Basterds

Brad Pitt + Quentin Tarantino = ??? I kind of felt compelled to find out. On the other hand, (don't shoot me but) war movies = thumbs down, spaghetti (or any other kind of) westerns = thumbs down, so I would think that war movie + spaghetti western (don't ask me--that was what netflix claimed) = theoretically two thumbs down. (After watching, I'm guessing the spaghetti western reference was based solely on the soundtrack.) Even though it took forEVER for netflix to sent me a copy of this disk (I sat through several months of Very long wait), I was not especially eager to sit down and watch it once it finally arrived.

Surprisingly enough, I've got to say I was completely engrossed by this movie. The level of tension reached in Chapter One was amazing, and it certainly never got boring after that. I'd only planned to watch about half of the movie tonight and maybe catch the rest tomorrow night, but I couldn't help staying up to see the entire thing in one night, even though by the end I was so tired that my eyes were just rolling around in my head. While this may not be the most, shall we say, historically accurate war movie I've ever seen, I find there may be something to be said for a fantasy regarding how things should have happened.

I'm sure I've made this point multiple times before, but ugh, Brad Pitt and his attempted accents! Can't he just keep his mouth shut and look pretty? The only thing worse than Pitt's southern accent is his stupid little mustache. Here again he was a caricature instead of a character.

This may be one of the only war movies I might recommend for someone to watch. Of course, there weren't many scenes of combat or strategy which, as I'm sure I've said before, are the parts of wars that bore me (integral though they may be). Only problem is, "basterds" is a pretty rude word no matter how you spell it. Maybe I won't recommend it to anyone out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment