Saturday, March 13, 2010

She's Having a Baby

This is a very, very 80s movie. And I'm sorry to say it's not John Hughes' best work. I think the silly treatment that worked so well in his teen movies doesn't fit this more grown-up fare.

The title of the movie is a bit misleading. Sure, pregnancy came up during the movie, but it was just, like, during the last five seconds or something. This movie was more about the trials of adjusting to the early years of a marriage when the husband is still mostly just a selfish child and hasn't really decided to fully commit yet. And the actual baby-having scene was so shamelessly manipulative that it made me mad. It was like the scene in Fried Green Tomatoes where you think they're having the little boy's funeral, and you start to cry, and then you realize they're just having a funeral for the boy's arm, and you stop crying and get mad instead. But I didn't cry during this movie, so there.

The best part of the movie was the "Famous People of the 80s Give Baby Name Suggestions" bit during the credits, especially since one of the suggestions was "Buford" (but you'd have to know my husband to know why I like this).

No comments:

Post a Comment