Friday, March 26, 2010

The Golden Compass

I had been warned that this movie was evil, but after I read the book I saw no problem with it. So I exposed my children to the evil tonight by watching this with them. I guess whoever thought this movie was evil was the same person from netflix who labeled it as "mind-bending," because I don't think either descriptor applies.

The movie was very well done and relatively faithful to the book. I would even say that it was more engaging than the book, because I actually found the book a bit dull. Even so, it was easy to not pay attention to this movie. In fact, before the movie was even half over, my youngest had fallen asleep, my middle child was going on safari with the Lion King DVD, and my oldest was playing a computer game. After the movie ended, the 6-year-old put in a request for future movie night movies: she only wants to see ones with animated characters instead of real people.

One interesting thing that I noticed is that the movie ended a few huge plot points before the book. But I was actually kind of glad about this, because it was time for my kids to go to bed anyway. I have to get up at an unholy hour in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment