Saturday, March 20, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid


I'm a nerd, and I have read this book. The series is one of my son's favorites. In fact, I'm pretty sure that before he discovered this book (ahem! I discovered it for him) he hated to read. Now he at least loves to read about Greg Heffley, and he has also been enjoying my old Calvin and Hobbes books. But I digress.

Of course we marked this movie on the calendar as soon as we heard it was coming out, but as this is 1) a book adaptation and 2) made for kids, I was afraid it might suck. I was sure there would be enough bathroom humor and gross-outs to keep my ten-year-old rolling in the aisles (and there was . . . except, of course, I managed to keep him from literally rolling on the floor because you know how sticky those movie theater floors can get). But I am happy to report that I actually enjoyed the movie. It was much cuter than I expected. My literary amnesia keeps me from telling you how faithful the movie is to the book (c'mon, it's been more than a year since I read it) but it has all the right characters and features the Cheese Touch, so I'm guessing it follows the book pretty well. Now, I will say that if you don't have kids to bring with you, you will probably want to skip this one. It's not great date-night material. At least wait until it comes out on DVD. But I think any kid above the age of 3 will love it, especially if they've read the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment