Sunday, March 7, 2010

Layer Cake

This might have been another Guy Ritchie film (and, in fact, this director--Matthew Vaughn--produced several of Ritchie's films). It's yet another British gangsta movie, of course, but a serious one, unlike the somewhat whimsical Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, which both had some good laughs.

I like Vaughn's transitions. (I don't know film-making-speak, so that's the best I can do). Two notable examples: first, zooming in on Craig's intense blue eyes as he sat in his apartment trying to figure out what he should do, and zooming out to see he's wearing a ski mask and has a plan; or, going from his drug-and-alcohol-induced frenzy to a straightened-out man in a suit with the swing of a mirrored medicine cabinet door. I also noticed the interesting camera angle when Craig's character was discussing guns with Gene and the scene was shot up through the glass tabletop. But . . . should great filmmaking draw attention to itself?

They obviously didn't consult me when putting together the soundtrack. Not that there was anything wrong with it; it was just not my kind of music. I was not impressed.

Daniel Craig sure has some nice arms. Cool apartment, too, with its unique fire-shaped sculpture in the fireplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment