Friday, March 5, 2010

Inkheart

Yes, this is our second movie of the day. Friday night is always movie night at our house (though most of the time we watch movies that only a kid could like, so I don't bother blogging about them--honestly, I usually don't even watch them). I'd had netflix ship us Inkheart before I decided to go see the Percy Jackson movie, and I didn't want to hang onto Inkheart until next Friday, so I figured tonight we'd have a double feature of sorts.

I read this book several years ago and I loved it. (Unfortuntely, by the way, in my opinion the sequel came nowhere near to measuring up, so even though I bought the third book as soon as it came out, I still haven't read it.) It's been so long since I read Inkheart that I really can't tell you how faithful this movie was to the book, but from what I recall, it captures all the main points. The movie isn't bad, but I definitely remember being much more absorbed by the book. Not surprising; it almost always works that way.

Eliza Bennett (the girl who plays Meggie) looks surprisingly like a young Laura Dern. It's also kind of funny to see Horace Slughorn in this movie.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even realize that was Horace!! I found this at the library. Free rental... and as such I enjoyed it well enough. But I am guessing the book held many more details that the movie gleams over.
    It was certainly an interesting concept, but what most puzzled me is how he could control who comes and goes. I thought he couldn't, but he was so determined to get his wife back as if he could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend the book. Like I said, I can't remember it well, but I remember I thought it was excellent. I have read several books by Cornelia Funke and I'd say this was my favorite of hers.

    From what I remember in the book, he could not control who comes and goes at all. This was why, after he realized what was going on, he refused to read out loud for years.

    ReplyDelete