Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Something's Gotta Give

This was a nice little movie! A chick flick, certainly. I don't think I could have gotten Hud to sit through it with me. Not without some serious bribery, anyway. But I enjoyed it! And was pleasantly surprised. I honestly did not expect to like it.

I was definitely impressed by Jack Nicholson. I mean, not that I doubted his acting ability, but I just couldn't see him pulling off "charming older gentleman." All I could picture was "crusty old man" from "As Good As It Gets." So, props to the old guy.

OK, I must admit that I was a little bit grossed out seeing old people making out. There are some things that should just be left to the imagination. But at least they didn't put in so much detail that I wanted to cut out my eyes.

It was nice to see Keanu Reeves smiling and acting like a human rather than a block of wood. I didn't know he had it in him. He actually spoke as if he is fluent in English, rather than as if he were only half literate and trying to read directly from the script. I could almost believe he was smart enough to be a doctor.

I was especially glad they made it crystal clear that Harry and Marin never did sleep together (even if they did beat me over the head with that fact to make sure I noticed), because that would have been awfully squicky when he ended up with her mom. As it was, it was a little bit weird to think that he had once dated his future step-daughter (assuming Harry and Erica got married, which I guess they didn't specify, but still the ick factor is there).

The ending was a little bit too perfect (would the gorgeous young doctor really have bowed out so easily?) but let's face it, this is Hollywood we're talking about, not real life. The less realistic a movie is, the more fun it is. Um, in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment