Sunday, September 6, 2009

Frailty

I enjoyed this thriller. At times it was somewhat predictable (we knew the man calling himself Fenton would end up killing the FBI agent) but there were parts I didn't guess right off the bat (like the fact that the man who came to see the FBI agent was not Fenton, but his brother Adam; and the great twist that those Adam and his father called "demons" really had committed grave sins).

Did Fenton really kill anyone at all? I do think that Fenton was the one who killed the boys' father, and though I believe it is possible that the events of his childhood affected his mind, causing him to have a homicidal bent similar to Adam's, I question the idea that the bodies in Fenton's basement were victims of Fenton rather than Adam. I think it's entirely possible that all the bodies in the basement and all the bodies in the rose garden were killed by Adam alone, and that Fenton was not involved in any of those murders, though he was framed for the murders by Adam to ensure that the true "Hand of God" would escape unscathed. Because the entire story was told by Adam, and he obviously lied to serve his purposes, who knows how much of his story was a lie? One thing I can't figure out: was the house that the FBI raided really Fenton's house? (This is the house with the bodies in the basement and the bulletin board with the list of names on it). If Fenton was not a part of the murders, I can't understand that being his house. Really, though, do we have any proof that there ever actually was a Fenton? Maybe Adam completely made him up...

I have to wonder what was wrong with the sherrif office dispatcher/Adam's girlfriend that she would go along with him and cover for him. And that sure must have been the spawn of Satan that they were incubating! I can just picture that Hand of God being handed down to the next generation once again. I also wonder what happened to the boys' mother... (could the father have murdered her too? Probably not, since he didn't have the "vision" from the angel until after she was long gone, and when he killed the sherrif he said it was the first time he had killed a person), and I wonder why they didn't show what evil deeds the third "demon" victim had committed. I suppose we can assume he was abusive towards his wife, judging by the way he yelled at her.

I have decided that the name of the movie refers to the psychological state of Adam's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment