Saturday, September 19, 2009

Coraline

Coraline is another Friday night movie we watched with the kids. I wasn't completely surprised to find that it's not your garden-variety sweet little children's movie, but it was more weird than I expected. It's a creepy movie, but to my surprise my kids liked it and weren't scared by it.

The story reminded me of a modern Alice In Wonderland that arises from a child's world and a child's fears rather than from an adult's drug-induced hallucinations. The film itself, with stop-action animation, is visually stunning. I was surprised that Tim Burton was not affiliated with it, because this is the look I associate with him (think Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride).

I thought the soundtrack was somewhat odd, but fitting. It does well to create the eerie mood. Several of the songs sound like they're sung in French...? I'm not sure what went into that decision unless it was for ambiance without distraction by lyrics (except for people who understand French, I guess).

I didn't realize this movie started as a book. Now I'm interested in reading it to the kids, especially since they really liked the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment