Friday, January 14, 2011

Maya Deren: Experimental Films

What? I don't get it.

This is a bizarre series of short films: Meshes of the Afternoon, At Land, A Study in Choreography for Camera, Ritual in Transfigured Time, Meditation on Violence, and The Very Eye of Night. Most of them were filmed in the 1940s (the last one in the 50s). They're all in black & white, and there is no speaking in any of the six films; half are silent, the other half are set to music.

I feel like I have nothing intelligent to say about these films. Most of them concentrated on the beauty of dance-like movements, but I couldn't discern much in the way of plot or anything that might make sense.

The most interesting one was the first, Meshes of the Afternoon. It also came closest to having a plot, but I'm still not quite sure what happened. Dreams? Hallucinations? Death? All three?

I just thought Godard's films were inexplicable.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting choice... is this what happens when the new releases are not available?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Good guess, but no. There is actually a reason behind the selection. It's kind of weird, though, so I'll email it to you instead of broadcasting it to the world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your answer, it was so convoluted, it sounded like some I might come up with!! Well, ya live, ya learn!

    Looking forward to a review of Inception...

    PS: Like the new wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I actually liked the old wallpaper better but shabbyblogs.com (where I got it) changed servers or something, and the old one wasn't available anymore so I had to pick something new. :I I'm not fond of change.

    I do still need to put up my Inception post, don't I!

    ReplyDelete