Monday, January 24, 2011

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

I put this movie in my netflix queue quite a while ago. It looked weird, and weird is good. But I didn't realize until I finally sat down to watch it that it has what could have been the perfect storm of hotness: Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law AND Colin Farrell. I mean, none of them are in my top five, but they're all awfully pretty. And I thought surely there would be some sort of synergy going on.

This movie was a crazy trip. Not as much of the hotness as I pictured, since the four hotties never shared the screen, and hotness was really not of paramount importance in their roles. And maybe Hud was right in saying that this movie is probably best enjoyed with large quantities of alcohol and weed.

Dr. Parnassus and his small band of sidekicks run a traveling sideshow featuring a magic mirror. Whoever enters the mirror goes on a journey into the imagination. Throw in a deal with the devil on a deadline, and you've got yourself some weird, wild stuff.

5 comments:

  1. When I first heard about this movie I was trying to figure out how a plot could possibly allot 3 other actors to finish the film for Ledger after he died. If there was ever a plot that would possibly make that feasible, this was it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree--it worked really well--almost as if they'd planned it that way from the beginning. I also think that, in this case, using 3 different replacements was a far better decision than trying to use just one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, alcohol and weed seem like they would help this film. The hotness is why I watched it in the first place, but it was not quite what I expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched it since it was Heath Ledger's last movie, but the hotness factor did play in. It was a trip and I watched it with my mom and Skip. We all hung in there and I think Skip mentioned at least once that maybe some pot would really enhance the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny that Hud's assessment seems to be pretty common. Maybe he's on to something. ;)

    ReplyDelete