Tuesday, February 23, 2010

RocknRolla

My husband said this movie was a lot like Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, but not as good. (Not a surprising comparison, as Guy Ritchie directed all three). Having now watched it, I agree that the movies were similar, but I thought this flick was pretty decent and doesn't necessarily suffer in comparison to the other two (except in one small area: Jason Statham is not in this one).

Be forewarned that you have to pay attention to this movie in order for it to make sense, as much for the British (and other) accents as for the relatively complicated story line. I had to actually sit down and watch this, just as much as I would have had to with a subtitled foreign film, and as a result my house is still a mess and I can't go to bed yet even though I want to. And speaking of subtitles: when certain characters speak in Russian, either the subtitles are really hard to read, or my new glasses aren't working as well as they should be.

I don't think I noticed it until this movie, but I have come to the opinion that Guy Ritchie is a British Quentin Tarantino wannabe. (When I say this I have only Pulp Fiction in mind, because that's Tarantino's best movie. Although Reservoir Dogs was pretty good too). This movie is nowhere near as clever as Pulp Fiction, although it is also less shocking (which is a good thing in my book).

No comments:

Post a Comment