Friday, February 12, 2010

My Best Friend's Girl

From reading the netflix description of this movie, I kind of got the idea that this would be a retelling of the classic story of Tristan and Isolde, remade into a stupid (not to mention "crude, lewd and rude") comedy. Fortunately, I didn't quite get it right. First of all, it was never part of the classic story that Tristan's greatest talent was acting like a perfect jerk (to put it mildly). Second of all, the movie turned out to be quite a bit more clever than I expected, which is never a bad thing.

Of course, the movie certainly had its rude moments. When I had to watch Tank eating a taco in full-on jerk mode, I'm pretty sure I cringed, probably blushed, and maybe even should have covered my eyes. And I would have been cringing and blushing quite frequently if I had watched this with my mom. I'm sure eventually I would have made her wear earplugs and a blindfold, or at least an eye patch. But since I didn't watch this with my mom (whew!) it was actually pretty funny and cute--and probably all the more so due to low expectations.

By the way, have you ever noticed that Dane Cook looks a bit like a troglodyte? Quite fitting, since his character acted like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment