Sunday, February 7, 2010

All About Eve

All About Eve won an Oscar for Best Picture (among other categories) in 1950. Sixty years later this film still resonates. It could just have easily been set in the present century, which is part of what makes it a classic. The snappy dialogue doesn't hurt, either.

I was surprised when Marilyn Monroe popped up in this movie. I had no idea (or recollection, anyway) that she was part of the cast. In fact when I first saw her and mentioned it to my husband, he didn't think it was Monroe. He said her face wasn't fat enough. (Actually I think his term was "butter-faced" or something like that, and I assumed he meant fat). But I knew it was her from the weird and affected way she moved her lips when she talked, which I guess was meant to be sexy, though it has no effect on me.

I loved the twist at the end when Phoebe showed up in Eve's apartment. That made the movie for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment