Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sliding Doors

I'd seen this one before, but it has been a sufficient number of years since my first viewing to allow me to forget most of the plot. Thus, it was almost like watching a brand new movie.

Of course I don't remember what I thought of it the first time around, but my opinion the second time is that it wasn't half bad. It's not a movie I would watch on endless loop, but for a romantic comedy it was actually pretty intriguing. It's a story of what-ifs, portraying the two different paths Helen's life would have taken merely based on either catching a train or arriving on the platform just after the doors slide closed (hence the title). Thanks to two totally different hairstyles (see the picture?), it is fairly easy to follow the movie's jumps from path to path, and (is this a spoiler? not really, since I'm not giving you any details) it's great the way the split lives are woven back together at the end. I think that says something interesting about Fate, which I'm not sure I believe in but I'm sure I would like to.

A fun diversion, even watched across three evenings (the way I did it). But if you find Gwyneth Paltrow annoying I'm not sure how you'll handle it, especially if English-accented-Gwyneth is more annoying than the usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment