Friday, February 17, 2012

Dirty Pretty Things

This movie was not AT ALL what I expected. I was thinking black comedy a la Very Bad Things (because both movies have a three-word title, the third word being "things," I guess?) but I was very, very far off. Although dark, this was not a comdey. But it was certainly an engrossing film.

It's the story of two illegal immigrants in London who work at a posh hotel. But not all is as pretty as it seems, the dirty side first becoming evident when Nigerian desk clerk Okwe fishes a human heart out of the toilet in Room 510.

Beyond being a dramatic thriller, Dirty Pretty Things also raises some interesting questions. When you live in a grey area, how do you choose between right and wrong? Or, more likely, how do you choose which wrong is less wrong?

Oh, and I really like Audrey Tautou for being so cute. Or pretty. Or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment