Friday, February 17, 2012

Red Riding Hood

Take your classic love triangle and throw in a fairy tale and a werewolf and what do you get? Red Riding Hood. I took a chance on a long shot and bought the DVD. And while I did not find it to be my new favorite movie, at least I don't completely regret the purchase. I liked some parts (the ones my twelve-year-old son would hate: the kissy stuff) and rolled my eyes during other scenes, but overall I must admit it's not an entirely awful movie.

It's a little bit awful, though. Here's a sampling of the STELLAR dialogue:
Henry: "You need me." 
Peter: "Okay. Fine. But if you're the wolf, I'm going to chop your head off."
Henry: "I will do the same to you."
Peter: "Fair enough." 
This movie was totally Twilight, from the opening scene flying over piney mountains to Peter with his quintessential Edward hair (and similarly wooden acting) to the score, which sounded to me like it could certainly have been written by Carter Burwell (but it wasn't) and the soundtrack, which I was certain was compiled by Alexandra Patsavas (but it wasn't). The movie was, however, directed by Catherine Hardwicke, and I think her style was evident.

(Yep, you caught me. I know far too much about Twilight.)

So, good things about the movie? I literally clapped my hands when Gary Oldman stepped out of his carriage. Not that his presence guarantees a worthwhile film (see The Fifth Element--not that there's anything wrong with that one--it's just not exactly an example of High Cinema), but he did lend a much-needed note of gravitas to an otherwise frivolous cast. There was some pretty cinematography, too, to go with the pretty people. Not sure if I'll ever watch it again, but I suppose I'll appreciate the fact that I can if I want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment