Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Midnight Cowboy

This is pretty much one of those "seen it, mark it off the list" movies. Kind of an oddity or a curiosity, but nowhere near a Best Movies Ever movie. Though it does have quite a GROOVY soundtrack. (But I suppose I can't blame 1969.)

I guess this is the youngest I've ever seen Jon Voight. I never knew he could move his facial muscles back then! I have seen Deliverance, which was made only three years later, but I really can't recall whether he was already wooden-faced in 1972. I was probably too worried about the poor guy squealing like a pig for Voight to make much of an impression on me in that movie.

I also never noticed how much of Angelina Jolie is evident in Voight's younger face. They've got the same jaw and chin, the same lips, the same eyes. Kinda freaky, actually.

Movie in a nutshell: Young Texas loser Joe Buck moves to New York City to hit it big as a male prostitute but ends up paying for sex or giving it away for free more often than he earns anything from it. The men seem to want him more than the women do. His greasy, crippled friend Ratzo ("Hey! I'm walkin' here!") is the best thing in his life, and life just doesn't turn out like he'd planned.

2 comments:

  1. Seen it and mark it off the list, that's exactly what this one was! Not bad, but not one I'd ever watch again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! Kinda hard to believe this won an Oscar for Best Picture.

    ReplyDelete