Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dogtooth

Don't tell my mom I watched this movie. In fact, you probably shouldn't even tell her it exists.

This is the story of a Greek family of five who, except for the father who holds a job in the real world, live in complete isolation from the rest of society. It is WEIRD and DISTURBING and, well, frequently so weird and disturbing that it's funny. Don't get me wrong, it is not a comedy. But who wouldn't laugh to see the terrified son stalking a clearly deadly housecat with a huge pair of garden shears? Albeit while simultaneously cringing at the thought of what will come next, of course.

This is a movie I won't soon forget.

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of it. Was it subtitles? Your review reminded me of Running with Scissors.

    Just watched Letters to Iwo Jima last night. Two hours of subtitles, ug, but a good movie. I liked seeing the other side of things. Oh wait, you don't like war movies. Well, this was more about strategies than fighting but there was some fighting.

    I have seen a good list of new movies lately that I have found at our library. I will have to email you the list with some reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, subtitled. Know what? I'd say this was even more strange than Running with Scissors.

    Definitely email me the list/reviews!

    ReplyDelete