Sunday, November 28, 2010

White Oleander

What a downer. It's probably not the best choice if you've just found out first-hand that Polansky's wrecker service will totally screw you by charging $524.95 to move your vehicle four miles after it has been rendered useless by someone who drives like an idiot and you're trying to focus on all the good things in life. And it won't be a favorite of your husband's when his top two requests are gunfire and nudity. In fact, you may find that he has disappeared before half of the movie is over, and soon afterwards you may hear him snoring loudly.

But what a good movie! There are a lot of big names attached to this movie, which could mean a sucky flop, but each character was excellent. And the story is great. (It's about a teenaged girl named Astrid whose artist mother has been sent to prison for poisoning her ex-boyfriend, leaving Astrid to bounce between horrifying foster homes . . . what do you mean, that doesn't sound great?) I kind of sort of want to read the book now, except that my wish list is tooooo long and I'm being very picky about what I add to it.

This movie is not corny, sappy, overdone, or a tear-jerker. It is just the opposite of all those things: original, undiluted, subtle . . . and I didn't cry or feel like the movie thought I was supposed to. Two thumbs up, and a middle finger for Polansky.

8 comments:

  1. *rolls eyes* I have just realized that, not only is this book already on my TBR list . . . I actually have a copy of it. That's a sure sign of an out-of-control reading list.

    Just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book when I read it ages ago, and I remember liking the movie, but as is typically the case with me, adoring the book more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good deal! You just bumped it a few notches higher in my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched this one with some ladies, probably better than the hubby. Great movie!
    I just recently ordered a book from PBS that I already had, so you are not the only one loosing control of the TBR pile!
    And LOL, one middle finger for Polansky the blood sucker!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the book and movie were both great. Michelle Pfeiffer was particularly creepy and good. Sorry about your car. It's always something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mandy--ha! You need to tell me what book you ordered a duplicate of. It wasn't The Alchemist, was it?? ;) I do want to know, though, because it sounds like something you really want to read.

    AR--Yes, Michelle Pfeiffer was definitely intense! And so beautiful! Although my one complaint about the movie centered around how unlikely it was that she would be able to maintain such intricate highlights in prison. ;) Thanks for the car sympathy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, thank goodness, but something about the cover does draw me in every time! It was Life of Pi, have you read it? It was recommended to me and it does keep popping up everywhere. So, hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read Pi, for book club several years back, and I really, really liked it. Probably one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete