Monday, November 23, 2009

True Romance

I was expecting this to be basically the same movie as Kalifornia. I couldn't have been more wrong. My first clue was the music in the very first scene, which told me that this one would be comparatively light-hearted. My second clue was seeing that it was written by Quentin Tarantino. Although this was not the gem that was Pulp Fiction, it's pretty much a romantic comedy, Tarantino style.

Before watching, I didn't even realize Brad Pitt was in this one. (Do you sense a theme throughout the past few movies? Apparently I have reached the point in my netflix queue where I picked out all of the Brad Pitt movies I hadn't seen yet). It was kind of funny to see Pitt in a bit part as a Spicoli-esque stoner.

If I ever had any doubt before (and I may have, during The Fifth Element), this movie convinced me that Gary Oldman is amazing. I would never have believed he could pull off a dreadlocked pimp until I saw it with my own eyes.

Unfortunate that Samuel L. Jackson had such a brief part in this movie. Lucky for us, Tarantino saw the error of his ways and gave us Jules Winnfield a year later.

5 comments:

  1. I don't even remember that line! I had to look it up on imdb. One of about three lines Brad Pitt had in this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know my Brad Pitt. Eric and I really like this movie. One of the few we own on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you do know your Brad Pitt! What is the first movie you remember seeing him in? The first time I noticed him was in Thelma and Louise. He is in my Top Five, but only when clean-shaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, Thelma and Louise. He stole the show for sure. Then I think I rented Kalifornia just to see him again. Totally opposite roles!

    ReplyDelete