Monday, June 18, 2012

Middle of Nowhere

I'm knocking movies out of my netflix queue one by one. I think it's possible that I've finally reached the point where I am watching movies more often than I'm adding to my list of movies to watch. Obvs this is not because I'm watching so many movies; it's just that it seems (though I'm sure this isn't possible) that all of the great (and good, and even merely mediocre) movies are either in my queue already, or I've previously watched them.

So. This is the story of a somewhat unlikely summer friendship between college hopeful Grace and poor little rich boy Dorian who has fallen on hard times. They meet through their soul-killing jobs working for a local water park, and bond through their scheme to rake in the money by selling pot.

Consider Middle of Nowhere another mediocre movie. It's Adventureland without the comedic timing of Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig . . . it's Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist without the lovely Kat Dennings . . . it's Star Wars without Han Solo. (OK, right. This movie is nothing like Star Wars. But if it were, it would be missing that essential ingredient.)

Funny, I seem to remember I really liked Anton Yelchin in Charlie Bartlett. But here he was just sort of meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment